In this video, you’ll find Chet at a home in Temple Terrace, Florida, near the Busch Gardens area.
The homeowner called for a free inspection because she suspected she has termites. While Chet was doing his inspection, he found some wood that looked ok from the surface, but he spotted some dirt along the support beams near the roof line. Once he spotted the dirt, he started to inspect the wood a little closer. Upon closer inspection he found massive damage to the wooden supports from Formosan Subterranean Termites. The termites literally ate the wood up…to the paint.
Once Chet found the termite damage, he showed the homeowner and she couldn’t believe her eyes. The wood just crumbled to dust in Chet’s hands . Not something a homeowner ever wants to see.
Here are some interesting facts regarding Formosan Subterranean Termites:
- A single Formosan Subterranean Termite may contain several million termites versus only several hundred thousand termites for native subterranean termite species.
- Because of its population size and foraging range, a Formosan Subterranean Termite colony poses serious threats to nearby structures.
- Once a Formosan Subterranean Termite colony is established, it has never been eradicated from an area. The colony spreads from home to home during their mating season.
- Formosan Subterranean Termite colonies are current active in Temple Terrace, Bay Crest and surrounding areas.
- A single Formosan Subterranean Termite colony may produce as many as 70,000 swarmers each season. The swamers or reproductive cast sole responsibility is to swarm (fly) and pair up with a partner to start a new colony. This is how the termites spread from area to area.
- Formosan Subterranean Termites do not need direct ground access for a colony to survive. They can form an aerial nest, or carton, if the reproductives find a suitable location above ground with the conditions needed for the colony to survive…food and water.
If you suspect you have a termite issue, if you’ve seen our trucks in your area, or if you just want peace of mind, give our office a call @ 813-935-7554 to schedule your FREE inspection. We’ll send one of our highly-trained termite inspectors to your home for a thorough inspection.
You can also schedule a FREE inspection by clicking here.
For a bug free home….